Monday, September 13, 2004

The Sunshine Farm

The Sunshine Farm was my mother's farm just near Trear, Iowa. This is where I spent my first year in life, and where I was brought home after making my mother miss Bob Dylan's first concert in several years on account of me needing to be born. I don't remember living on the farm, but I have an assortment of memories about this magical place from photographs, old 8mm films, newspaper clippings, and stories from others who lived there.

If you are unfamiliar with this part of the country, it is stunningly beautfiul. While the land is farily flat, the sun glimmers off of slight rolling hills and mixes well with the top-soil to grow some pretty amazing things.

My parents decided that they, too, wanted to grow some pretty amazing things, so they borrowed land from my grandfather who was a very well respected farmer from the Old School. With that land, they created The Sunshine Farm and developed a once thriving community for musicians, artists, and writers, to live and grow organic crops.

All sorts of great things happened on The Sunshine Farm, although I often wonder what my grandfather secretly thought about that place. I guess he just loved his little girl, my mother...

No comments: